Friday, March 7, 2008

Italian Tofu Curry

My attempt at "fusion" cuisine, I guess. I started with the idea of seared tofu, and when I was done brainstorming I had spinach, tomato, and basil. My measurements here are approximate.

1 Pkg Firm Tofu
1 Onion
1/2 Cup Coconut Milk
1 Can Diced Tomatos
2 Tsp Minced Ginger
2 Cloves Garlic
1 TB Lime Juice
2 Cup Spinach
1/4 Cup Chopped Basil
1 TB Sweet Curry Powder
2 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes

Press the tofu and cut into triangles or strips. Dice the onion. Sear the tofu in a pan with a little oil and set aside. Sautee the onion, garlic, and ginger for about 3 minutes, add tomato, coconut milk, lime, basil, curry powder, and red pepper flakes. Simmer for a few minutes, then wilt in the spinach. Serve tofu on pasta or rice and top with sauce. Grate some parmesan on top.

I messed this up slightly, as I tried to do it all at once in a single pan, and ended up wrecking the tofu. It tasted just as good, but I imagine having crisped up the tofu it would be even better. There is something, though to simmering the sauce in a pot that the tofu is also in, so I need to figure out how to perfect this. We served it all over a spinach linguini. I forgot the parmesan, but it would be delicious, I'm sure.

3 comments:

HomeschoolGuy said...

No posts in a while, huh? You guys must be getting hungry.

Jim said...

Too much processed food lately; most everything else has been uncomplicated to the point of not needing to write it down (like last night's chicken salad...)

Got some ideas kicking around in my head though....

Debbie said...

Okay- I know to most epicureans chicken salad is so easy it's boring- but can you humor me? I love chicken salad and would like to try making it if you have a good recipe!